Thursday, February 1, 2018

Playing With Autofill

I found an article while browsing Face book that had me in stitches this evening. Botnik Studios put out an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation created with predictive keyboards. You read that right, they deliberately auto-wrecked themselves. It's gloriously hilarious.

Once my uncontrolled giggling subsided, I started thinking. What would a werewolf romance story written with auto-fill read like? I had to give it a try!

The first thing I discovered was that my phone's a better medium for this type of writing. The predictive keyboard I downloaded for my PC didn't seem to grasp action verbs or nouns. The second thing i discovered is that i have to guide the story a bit. My phone did come up with the premise of this bit of flash fiction, though. Here's my best creation to date:

Werewolves want to be the only ones in this game. The fact that I have been in the game for years now is a little hard to fathom. I’m not sure how I feel about it. The game sucks. I suck. Werewolves suck. Every time I try to get out, I get pulled back in eventually. They don’t want me here, but they won’t let me go, either.

The game is a simple thing. The only thing that is wrong is that it doesn’t work. They hide in public and pretend no one sees them. Most people play along and “don’t see” them. Sometimes people see them despite trying not to. I’m not one of those people who are still “not seeing” them.

They’ve never let me forget it. They haven’t killed me, though they have killed others. They haven’t absorbed me into their society, though they sometimes do that, too.

I can’t win, leave, join, or die. I just keep playing the game.



Not bad. I think I'll keep adding to this story to see where it goes!

~Rebecca

No comments: