Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Guest Blogger Mel Tescho


Our guest today is Mel Tescho, who celebrates her debut release from Ellora's Cave this week. Welcome Mel!


How did you celebrate your first release?
Stone-Cold Lover is my first release which just happened to coincide with the RWAus conference in Brisbane. Stupidly enough I woke up with a raging hangover from the cocktail party the night before, so it wasn't exactly the way I anticipated feeling on release day!

Most authors are also avid readers. Is this the case with you? If so, who are some of your favorites? Have any influenced your writing?
Before I started writing I was most definately an avid reader. As a young child it wouldn't have been uncommon for me to be reading late at night and into the early hours of the morning under my blankets via torchlight. I think lots of readers fall into writing and then find they don't have anywhere near the time to read. For me, I love both reading and writing, but I think the latter fills more of a void. My favourite books would be paranormal so some of my fav authors would be Kelley Armstrong and JR Ward. An Aussie author I've started reading quite a bit of is Keri Arthur, and many up and coming authors who also happen to be good friends: Tracey O'hara and her Dark Bretheren novels with book one Night's Cold Kiss, Erica Hayes and her Shadowfae chronicles. If you enjoy shorter novels and dragons, Anna Hacket's Savage Dragon is a great read. As for category you can't go wrong with Robyn Grady, Rachel Bailey, Amy Andrews, Sharon Archer, Helen Bianchin... too many to list!! I don't know that any one author has influenced my writing, think it's more a case of life experiences and a dash of my own voice to make it unique.

Do you find it difficult at times to write love scenes?
I imagined I was quite good at love scenes until I was picked up by Ellora's Cave and I realised just how wrong I'd been! But I think it's the same as anything, you have to practise practise practise but always feel comfortable within yourself and what you're doing.

What are you reading now?
I'm reading Destiny Kills by Keri Arthur and Needful Things by Stephen King.

Tell us a bit about your new release.
Stone-Cold Lover is about a heiress who appears to have it all - except Cray, her gargoyle guardian. One night stands no longer hold any appeal, she wants him and will do just about anything she can to get him.

Which book was the hardest to write and which the easiest?
I'd have to say my very first book, which will never see the light of day (a category btw) was by far the easiest book to write. With no idea about deep pov, show not tell, head hopping and all the other rules, I simply wrote the way I wanted to, without any rules to hold me back. By far the hardest is a single title I'm co-writing with Kylie called Believe. It has doctors, drugs, pyschics and more, and involves lots of research for credibility.



* * * * * *


Stone-Cold Lover By Mel Teshco available at Ellora's Cave
Heiress Loretta Shaw is notorious for her loose morals and sexual needs. Trouble is, it's taken her one too many one-night stands to realize that no man can extinguish the sexual fire she feels toward her guardian, Cray Diamond.

A long-ago curse made Cray immortal—a gargoyle, a guardian, who is impelled to protect a human chosen by the curse. He is imprisoned in stone during daylight hours but dusk returns him to flesh and bone to carry out his immortal duty.

That Cray can shift between human and living gargoyle at night bothers Loretta not one bit. She's seen him naked many times and her desire for him—in any shape or form—knows no bounds. She's tired of his resistance. He's her gargoyle…and she wants him in her bed.

For more about Mel visit her at http://melteshco.blogspot.com

27 comments:

Serena Shay said...

Hi Mel,
Thanks for being here today! Cray Diamond sounds like one yummy Gargoyle! Congrats on the Release!

Paris said...

Welcome, Mel!
I'm so glad you stopped by today. Oh, I love gargoyles;-)and this one sounds great. Time to go shopping!

Crystal Kauffman said...

Woohoo another author who writes Gargoyles. We (and our characters) are a rare breed. :)

Savanna Kougar said...

Mel, welcome and thanks for being here!

Mmmmm... warm stone in her bed. I can understand that. Congrats on your release and many happy sales.

Mel Teshco said...

Hi Serena!
Cray certainly *is* yummy, and I'm happy to say I think the cover does him justice!!
Thanks for your comment Serena =)

Mel Teshco said...

Hi Paris (love that name!)
Gargoyles are just that little bit different! Mind you I love my vamps and werewolves too! I hope you enjoy the read =)

Mel Teshco said...

Hi Crystal!
another gargoyle writer! Oh, please send me your book details...research, you know LOL

Mel Teshco said...

Hi Savanna,
I'm excited to be here, thanks you guys for having me!
Warm stone in her bed...never thought of it that way before.
Thanks for your congrats =)

Rachel Bailey said...

Hi Mel! I've read your gargoyle story and *loved* it. Cray is a fabulous hero - I wanted him for myself! Do you have other gargoyle stories planned or are you writing different types of heroes?

Mel Teshco said...

Hello Rachel,
it's lovely to see you here! Glad to hear you loved Cray!
I'm not planning on anymore gargoyle heroes at this stage (never say never) though I am writing about Cray's daughter whose only gargoyle inheritance is a set of bat-like wings she despises. The poor girl conceals them under her clothes...makes for interesting conflict and love scenes. I hope to have that story finished by next month.
My next hero is a bad boy with links to the mafia. Wonder what he'll think of the heroine with her wings lol!!

AJ said...

Congratulations Mel! May it be the first of many.

Mel Teshco said...

Hi AJ!
And thanks so much. I do like the sound of it being the first of many!

Denise Rossetti said...

Hi Mel, Many congratulations! I think you cover is fabulous - and so is the title. :)

Denise

Sue BT said...

Hi Mel,
Congrats on your new release. Cray is *gorgeous*.
Can't wait to read your next story.

Sharon Archer said...

LOL and commiserations on the post-cocktail party hangover, Mel! Those drinks slide down all too easily when you're having a great time catching up with friends, don't they!

Congratulations on the release of Stone-Cold Lover and may this be the start of a long successful career with Ellora's Cave!

Your gorgeous gargoyle is in my e-tbr pile.

Mel Teshco said...

Hey Denise!
Great to see you here =)
Coming from a lady with *the* EC cover, that's fab to hear!!

Mel Teshco said...

Hi Sue,
glad you liked Cray =)
I'm loving the next story, so hope you do too!

Mel Teshco said...

Hi Sharon!
Yes, those drinks certainly do slide down a little too well (and those waiters were always at hand...when I wasn't chasing them down alongside Erica LOL) Thanks for your congrats, hope you enjoy the read =)

Wendy Nichols said...

Wishing you every success with Stone Cold Lover, Mel. An intriguing idea and definitely a twist on the standard paranormal. With your dedication and passion for your craft, it's sure to be a success.

Wendy Nichols

Mel Teshco said...

Hi Wendy,
that's sweet of you to say! And I hope you're right (g)

Tracey O'Hara said...

I have read a little of Stone Cold Lover in an earlier version. I LOVE the cover - it is so cool. I also have read a few of Mel's other stories and LOVE her voice. Mel - you go girl.

Mel Teshco said...

Hey there Tracey!
Thanks for saying so! You can pimp my work anytime! (g)

Eleni Konstantine said...

Mel, a huge congratulations with Stone Cold Lover. Great premise & great title. It's happily waiting in my eTBR pile! :)
Great meeting you at the conference.

Mel Teshco said...

Oh thanks Eleni!! I truly hope you enjoy it -
And it was so nice to meet you too =)

Anonymous said...

Hi Mel,
Awesome story and I loved Cray - am going to hunt the nurseries for a real life gargoyle myself this weekend *g* I think I like his wings the best - that scene with the wings... oh... yumm....
Cath

Mel Teshco said...

Hi there Cath =)
That scene with the wings - you can thank my editor for that. I was asked to put another sex scene in and wanted to create a visual that was a bit different... just a bit! lol
So glad you liked the story - and Cray!!

Mel Teshco said...

Thanks Pamela and shapeshifter seductions for having me - it's truly been a blast!
xx