Wednesday, April 29, 2015

What do April Snow Storms Bring?

Today's post is pretty short, more of a flash mini scene. It came to me as I was driving through a mountain pass yesterday which had just gotten a foot of snow the day before. I hope you like it!

~Rebecca

**********

"Mom, why are you cussing under your breath?" Thor asked, his sweet faced squenched up with confusion.

"It's snowing," Marissa said, jesturing at the barely visible road I front of the car. They were on a switchback "highway" that was only sort of two lanes wide, driving to Lost Woman Meadows in Wyoming, not far from Talbot's Peak as crow flies, but not close as car drives. Thor had chosen to do his history project on the area, and had decided that he just had to go down there himself. Hence driving over switchback mountain passes in a late spring snow storm.

"But it snows a lot in the spring here," Thor commented.

"I know, I know," Marissa said with a gusty sigh as she tried to think of a way to explain to her eight-year-old stepson/wolf pup why she was annoyed.

"Mom, if April showers bring May flowers, what does April snow storms bring?"

And just like that, all her irritation was gone. Marissa laughed and rubbed Thor's already tousled blond hair.

"I'd say it brings lunch at a diner since pick nicks in the snow are not much fun!"

2 comments:

Pat C. said...

Lots of swearing? They do in my neighborhood.

"Not far from Talbot's Peak as the crow flies, but not close as the car drives." I just love this phrase.

Savanna Kougar said...

That is a good phrase.

What a great history assignment. Go Thor!