Wednesday, October 21, 2009

It’s All About The Romance – Even When It’s Not A Romance

While doing a blog interview last week, one of my visitors commented how she’d like to read my book, because even though it’s a suspense, she’ll read it because it’s “romance.”

I realized I’m quite the same when it comes to my preferences. If there isn’t romance in the story, it almost seems there’s something missing. And I’m not talking about romance novels or romantic movies. I’m talking everything.




For the past couple of weeks, I’ve been treating myself to a Saturday Primeval marathon where I watch my entire Netflix disk in one sitting. My husband wasn’t interested in the show (not gritty enough for him) but I’m loving it. So I’ll say it: what really got me hooked was the blossoming romance between Nick Cutter and Claudia Brown in season 1. When Nick comes back from a jaunt through an anomaly, the past has been changed and among several differences, Claudia Brown doesn’t exist.


Talk about relationship conflict! The set up is quite poignant. (Of course, I have been known to cry over dog food commercials, too.) Nick’s wife disappeared without a trace. After mourning her for eight years, he learns she’s simply gone through an anomaly and chosen to stay missing. So after a heart breaking loss, it only gets worse to learn she’s really quite evil. Then, when he’s just beginning to explore the feelings Claudia Brown stirs in him, she’s gone.  They bring the character back, only her name is Jenny and she’s a PR expert hired by the Anomaly Research Center to cover up monster sightings. And Jenny’s got a fiancé.

The monsters are well done, the characters are well developed, and the romance is gripping. Needless to say, I’m anxiously awaiting my next Saturday marathon.

What’s your favorite non-romance romance?

3 comments:

Savanna Kougar said...

Crystal, fascinating. TV is outer limits for me since I can't get cable and my trees block the weak DTV signal and satellite's out, too.

I always want romance in my non-romance stories, too. Nothing is complete without romance for me, or in my book(s).
I'll harken back to the all the Star Trek series, where romance snuck in, but it wasn't a romance.

Paris said...

I see a romance everywhere! LOL! And Primeval was one of my favorite shows along with Torchwood. Hubby could care less and usually left the room when they were on. I sort of like the new turn Primeval took but I always liked the guy who plays the cop. I even like the nerdy guy who runs the show! I'm hopeless;-)

Roxanne Rhoads said...

I love Bones, I so hope that Bones and Booth will eventually hook up.