Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Tales of the Sazi: a shape shifter only series by C.T. Adams and Cathy Clamp

Hi and welcome to your Wednesday fix of Shapeshifter Romance. This is my very first blog post for you folks so let me introduce myself. My name is Rebecca Murray. I live in Metro Denver and I am an author. I write under the pen name Rebecca L Gillan, not because I don‘t want folks to know my real name but because there is a rather famous journalist with my same name. My first formally published story, Hawk’s Bride, will be released in September. This blog, though, is not about my writing but about those shape shifter romances that keeps us all crying for more!

I am going to start out with long running, though not as well known, shape shifter-only series’ because those are the ones I most love stumbling upon. If you are at all like me, I can devour a new series in a mater of weeks and am tortured by long new release waits, so this type of series helps fill the gap nicely.

My planned format is to start with a series over view for the first blog, review each installment of the series, then if possible, finish up with an author interview. For this series, I will be doing the Sazi series by C.T. Adams and Cathy Clamp. You will be pleased to know that Cathy has already agreed to the interview, so if you have any questions you’d like me to pose to her, chime in quick so they can make the cut off for the questionnaire I’m putting together.

So without further ado, I present the world of the Sazi!

Tony is a bad boy with a frightening secret: eighteen months ago, while doing a hit for a client, his mark almost killed him instead. Turns out the lady was a werewolf. She attacked him back and left him for dead in the middle of the night in a deserted city park. Tony, though, is no quitter and the dame really should have made sure he was actually dead. Now there’s a mob assassin/werewolf running around and he’s come to the attention of some folks who don’t like that.

The Sazi are an ancient race who have lived side by side with humanity for as long as both races have walked the earth. Once, millennia ago, they were almost wiped out by a mass attack coming from within. Now, they will do anything, even kill their own, to keep their secrets and to keep their families alive, if not necessarily safe and happy. It is strictly forbidden to turn humans, even humans who know their secret. They have a High Council to govern the diverse and dangerous population of shifters and a law organization to ride herd, no pun intended, on those who chafe at being confined. Not everyone is content to keep the status quo, though.

This series opens up as a good stand-alone story that the authors managed to turn into a great series. Through the eyes of Tony, we are introduced to the world of the Sazi from the perspective of a new turn wolf who was never supposed to live. Later installments give us different views of their world, sometimes through the eyes of ancient, powerful seers, sometimes through the eyes on the non-shifting family members- humans born of Sazi blood who were born without the ability to shift.

This is an interesting series as a whole. The first two books are written first person from Tony’s point of view only. Later stories are a blend of first person and third person. You don’t need to read them chronologically, but you might find yourself wanting to so the details in later books make sense. Also, the first few installments seem to be over packed with minuet details, but the important thing to keep in mind is that it can, and usually does, take a few books before the full impact of those details become clear.

There are eight books so far, and word is Adams and Clamp don’t plan to stop there, though they are currently working on another series right now. The good news is, these two ladies can really churn out some quality reading material in about eight to twelve months per installment, so we could see more of the Sazi in as little as a two years.

4 comments:

Serena Shay said...

Hey Rebecca,
Welcome to Shapeshifter Seductions.

Great blog!! I've never read this series, but it looks intriquing, I just love bad boy shifters, muaahaha and Yay to an interview with Cathy!!

Rebecca Gillan said...

This series is filled with bad boy shifters who live fast and hard and love faster and harder! Thee's nothing i love more than seeing a strong heroine tame them when it looks like they don't deserve to be!

Pat C. said...

Welcome to the pack, Rebecca!

Mob hit man turned werewolf? I've gotta look this up.

Savanna Kougar said...

Rebecca, welcome!

Fascinating about C.T. Adams and Cathy Clamp's Sazi series. That would certainly be a page turner, just given the hero and the world he's stumbled into by being a bad guy, himself.

Like Pat said 'Mob hit man turned werewolf? I've gotta look this up.'

Can't wait until Cathy does her interview with you.