Thursday, December 10, 2009

Coyote Moon ~ An Author Discovery and Reviews



I’m betting Pat Cunningham’s WereCoyotes wouldn’t mind their story being given as a gift for this holiday season. Okay, okay... there were some tantalizing bribes involved from said WereCoyotes... like they might put in a good word with Chaos, so if I ever wrote about their kind, it would be one of those stories that pens itself... yeah, yeah, we’ll see... in the meantime, since I have a soft spot for these furry cute tricksters, here’s my take on their story.

Author Discovery ~ Coyote Moon by Pat Cunningham

Having read a short story, SNAKE IN THE GLASS, by Pat Cunningham, for an ezine, Beneath Ceaseless Skies, that I thoroughly enjoyed because of the pull-no-punches style of writing and the fantasy’s imaginative cleverness, I anticipated reading COYOTE MOON, Ms. Cunningham’s first published book with Siren-BookStand.
Okay, I read the juicy excerpt bits and my mouth metaphorically watered because, hey, I have a fondness for coyotes. Long ago, I watched a lone, large coyote stop and literally look both ways before crossing a four-lane highway. When he crossed, his tongue lolling out since it was summer, it was with a languid steady gait and an attitude of utter confidence.
I was completely impressed, then, just as I am completely impressed with Ms. Cunningham’s werecoyote un-alpha hero, Cody. He’s a fun guy to be around. I smiled a lot, and yes, chuckled out loud, as I read Cody and Willy’s love story.
Yep, Cody has the smarts upstairs, where it truly counts especially when it comes to winning the day and saving his chosen mate, from herself and the bad wolf guys.
Coyotes, those cunning jokester canines of legend and lore have a lot to offer us according to shamanic tradition and that’s exactly one of the reasons this story transported me to the hidden world of the werecoyote. Because Ms. Cunningham seamlessly, and with a beautiful cleverness, incorporates the coyote nature into her light-hearted, yet compelling romance story.
For an entertaining escape into the shapeshifting contemporary world of Cody and Willy, I highly recommend COYOTE MOON.

Here’s one of my favorite parts ~

“We can charge straight into a pack of wolves, and get our heads bit off. But there’s a better way. The coyote way.”

Yeah! The coyote way!

~~~

Smiles, Savanna Kougar

Author of ~

All Shades of Blue Paradise
Red Lioness Tamed
When a Good Angel Falls
Tangerine Carnal Dreams
Murder by Hair Spray in Gardenia, New Atlantis
Black Cat Beauty
Her Insatiable Dark Heroes
Stallion of Ash and Flame

~~~~~~

Reviews for COYOTE MOON ~

5 BLUE RIBBONS: "I love stories where I am giggling within the first five pages, and Coyote Moon was one of those. Cody was an awesome hero, he just cracked me up. When you think of coyotes, the mental image that appears is very different from Ms. Cunningham's version, but the result is very good. I really enjoyed his sense of humor, and the way he dealt with Willy's issues. Willy was also a great character, especially with all the emotional stuff she had going on. The romance between the two was red-hot, and very entertaining. Excellent job!" -- Noelle, Romance Junkies

5 BOOKS: "Coyote Moon by Pat Cunningham is one of those surprise finds of a read, that reaches out and drags you straight in. This romance tangles the paranormal into life as if it simply existed, and takes off from there. It's a bold approach, and Pat Cunningham carries it off like some sort of magician. I was completely enthralled, from the first moment Cody Gray broke up the tableau of evil-doers closing in on that nice blond she-wolf at the garage. The action is fast, the dialogue snappy, and the situations utterly unpredictable. The full moon and the wild freedom of certain canines, as well as all the heightened senses that go along with that, bring the life of these not quite humans into amazing perspective. Go ahead, let out a howl. From waffles to wagging, this is a paranormal that dares. I hope Pat Cunningham continues in this vein for a full length novel, as she'll be setting a whole new standard for paranormal fiction. Kudos, and then some." -- Snapdragon, Long and Short Reviews

4 CUPS: "This is a very entertaining shape shifter tale. Cody is charming and wily and determined to win Willie over. Willie is confused about being a wolf and afraid that she might hurt anyone she has sex with. Cody's patience with her and the hot love scenes really make the story...I liked the fact that Willie is the alpha part of the couple and I enjoyed the way she handled the less than impressive wolf pack. This quick read is definitely a winner." -- Maura, Coffee Time Romance & More

4 ANGELS: "If you like shifter stories with strong women characters, you'll like Coyote Moon! Willy is not a weak, girly-girl type of woman. She is strong willed, intelligent, works as a mechanic, and has never found a man who can match her spirit - until Cody. Cody is the embodiment of a wily coyote; he is cunning, sexy, fun loving, and very determined to get his woman. I loved the clash of wills and the explosion of chemistry that these two cannot deny. I also liked the battle between the wolf clan, that has just figured out they missed out on a female wolf shifter, and Cody. The wolves may be bigger and mean if not evil, but they are underestimating the will of one cunning coyote who has found his mate! The wolf clan also seriously underestimates Willy, and Willy isn't happy about this macho fighting over who gets to "keep" her. Willy intends to get what SHE wants! This book was great fun, and I can't wait to read some more stories like this from Ms. Cunningham." -- Stephanie B., Fallen Angel Reviews
~~~~~~

COYOTE MOON

Blurb ~

It's that time of the month -- the full moon -- when Willy Alvarez's moods go wonky and her dreams fill up with wolves. A time for hungers she doesn't dare fulfill because they lead to violence. She's resigned herself to a manless life, then Cody Gray arrives.

Cody is cute, funny, charming, and a werecoyote. His nose knows what Willy doesn't: she's half werewolf. He's convinced this repressed half-human she-wolf is his perfect mate. Now he just has to convince her. And quick, because her long-lost pack has learned about her existence, and they've come to town to claim her...
~~~
COYOTE MOON by Pat Cunningham at ~ http://bookstrand.com/product-coyotemoon-14959-330.html ~
~~~~~~

6 comments:

Savanna Kougar said...

What? No comments... darn!
I did such a good job.

Serena Shay said...

Actually you did an awesome job!! I'm just getting here to read and respond. Tomorrow's hotties were calling! LOL

I can't wait to read this story! I love humor mixed in with my love and action stories and it sounds like Pat hit the nail on the head.

WTG, Pat and Savanna thanks for letting us know about what a great book it is. :)

Savanna Kougar said...

Serena, I know what you mean. I just got my 'hotties' whipped into shape... okay, no actual whips were used in the gathering up of my winged ones...

Are you posting on your day tomorrow about our Holiday Hotties Tour?

Serena Shay said...

Yep, I sure am. :)

Anonymous said...

Good news for me and my wolf shifters -- my first novel, A London Werewolf in America, just got picked up by BookStrand! Yes, my FIRST NOVEL! We're looking at a May 2010 e-book release. What a great early Christmas present!

Though a laptop would be better. Maybe, if sales are good ...

Pat C.

Savanna Kougar said...

Pat, yay!!! Or howls of congratulations!!!
Luv that title ~ A LONDON WEREWOLF IN AMERICA