Monday, December 14, 2009

Yaktrax are a good thing...if I had any.

My version of the twelve days of Christmas (if I had a version) would be: on the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me... One pair of Yaktrax. The reason my true love would give me a pair of these miracle walking devices is because today I had a close encounter of the third kind with an icy sidewalk. This was most definitely NOT a good thing.


I parked in the parking lot of the library and the pavement seemed just fine. I was in a hurry so I didn't put my gloves on (very dumb). So I hurried to the sidewalk behind the library in which I work. For a step or two all was well, then it seemed a bit slick so I started treading more carefully. Finally the sidewalk won. My feet went out from under me and bam, I looked like I was doing a belly flop in a white swimming pool. I rolled over onto my butt to try to stand up. Alas and alack there was nothing but ice under my feet.

Two good samaritans came to rescue me or I would be there still. They helped me stand (one of them was wearing Yaktrax). With their help, I headed back the way I'd come thinking the sidewalks in front of the library had to be better. It was so freaking slick they had to walk me to the door of the library.

Let us say I have had better days and YESTERDAY was the 13th. Today should have been a breeze. So I say to all of you...be careful out there. And on the first day of Christmas, have your true love give to you, one pair of Yaktrax.




2 comments:

Serena Shay said...

Ouch Francesca. :( That darn ice.

Savanna Kougar said...

Oh, Francesca, glad you're okay, if bruised.
Those YakTrax do look like a necessity. I now mom has a pair non-slip thingies she puts on her boots, but I don't know the brand.
I try to wear the rubber ridged soles... but that doesn't always work.