Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween Host - Ashlyn Chase!



Happy Halloween fellow shapeshifter and paranormal fans!  I hope everyone is having a spooky and safe holiday and may your evening adventures include a run in with a real live shapely shifters of your own!! ;)

Now, do we have a treat for you!

The awesome Ashlyn Chase is here today to share with us witchly book recommendations and to give away a copy of her recent release, Strange Neighbors.  Sweet!

Let's give it up for Ashlyn with a shapeshifter welcome...Rawr!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Book Recommendations from a Real, Live, Witch


By Ashlyn Chase

Yes, witches like to read too. In fact there’s such an abundance of reading material on the craft, I decided to write a short article about it.

My number-one most influential book would have to be Laurie Cabot’s “Power of the Witch.” It was the first book I read and it put me straight about the craft. There was something magical in that book. I was left with a beautiful feeling. A peace and calm about the craft came over me, and I knew I wanted to study this path and try walking it. That was seventeen years ago.

The second and third books that influenced me were both by Scott Cunningham. They were “A guide for the Solitary Practitioner” and “The Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs. “ He offers loads of information, practical advice, and a reality check once in a while.

Another book which influenced me because it taught me the proper and safe way to bind a person, was “Spells and How they Work,” by Janet and Stewart Farrar. Forget the movie The Craft. There’s a way to help those people who are bugging you most and get them out of your hair at the same time. Every resource should tell you the most important aspect of the Witch’s Rede is: Harm none.

Each of these books contributed certain vital bits of information passed on from long ago, and yet by themselves they are like a puzzle with only some of the pieces. My formal training with a high priestess, practice for a year and a day, plus further study were all important building blocks.

I was told by my first High Priestess not to read. It would only confuse me, she said. I agree there is contradictory material out there, but that doesn’t mean I can’t sort through it and choose what makes sense to me from each source. If you’re interested in learning more, I’d not only recommend the above books, but I’d caution you away from learning everything on the Internet. Find a mentor who can guide you. Magick is real and it’s not something to “dabble in.”

But even serious witches need to have a bit of fun, and I get mine by writing light, sexy, paranormal romances. Check out my latest novel, Strange Neighbors, and my website. http://www.ashlynchase.com/

Summary:

When all-star pitcher and shapeshifter Jason Falco buys a small apartment building, he sees it not only as an investment but as a place to escape the demands of Major league baseball.

That is, until he meets his tenants—a sarcastic unemployed vigilante vampire; a wereraven with a morbid sense of humor; a super friendly salesman werewolf; and two witches with an owl familiar who work as phone sex actresses. Not to mention a ghost haunting the place and an all too human nurse he’d like to get to know better. But with all the hooting, howling and hollering going on, how’s an all American shapeshifter supposed to sweep a girl off her feet?

Publisher’s Weekly said “The good natured fun never stops.” Their review caught the eye of a Hollywood producer! And it has already been contracted for a Thai translation. Who knows how far it might go?

Now, let’s have a contest for a free copy! I’ll draw a winner at random from those who go to my website to send me an email via the Contact button.

And later, if you’re bummed out because you didn’t win, you can order a copy from Amazon, Barnes and Nobles or directly from my publisher here:

http://www.sourcebooks.com/products/romance/9781402236617-strange-neighbors.html Ask me for a signed bookplate. I’ll be happy to send you one (or three. This is the first book in a series.)

Or if you can’t afford $6.99, take this number to your library and ask them to order it.

ISBN# 9781402236617

11 comments:

Serena Shay said...

Ashlyn,
Thanks for being with us today at Shapeshifter Seductions.

I love your description of Laurie Cabot’s “Power of the Witch.” I'm definitely interested in taking a look at that book.

Congrats on Strange Neighbors! It looks fabulous. :)

Rebecca Gillan said...

Thanks for the fun, informative post! That books looks like rollicking fun read!

Rebecca Gillan said...

Snagged the e-book version and already to chapter 3. Yes, it is a rollicking good read so far!

Crystal Kauffman said...

Wow, this sounds like so much fun. Though I'd have to be nervous about two witches with an owl familiar who work as phone sex actresses. A guy wouldn't want to get too pushy with them!

Savanna Kougar said...

Hi Ashlyn, incredible post. I've read all the books you recommended except “Spells and How they Work,” by Janet and Stewart Farrar.
Sybil Leek's Diary of a Witch was the first one I read that definitely got my attention in a very good way.

Thanks for being here. I've read a couple of your excerpts for Strange Neighbors... great fun!

And, I have to agree with Crystal. Never push a witch or witches around.

Solara said...

Ashlyn,great to have you with us. Very informative and interesting post. Great story idea. Put on my to be read list. Thanks for stopping by!

Pat C. said...

Welcome to the party, Ashlyn! I'll have to check out your book. Paranormal humor ... just my cup of tea.

Hot Ash Romance Novels said...

Thanks for your input everyone! I'll have to look into Sybil Leek's book. I've read another one of hers and she's a good writer. Will check it out.

Thanks for buying the book, Rebecca! I reeeeealy appreciate it! It's my first mass market paperback and the numbers count. I never realized how important sales were.

And it's great to meet you Solara and Pat. I'll pick a winner tomorrow a.m. to give everyone a chance.

Ash

Rebecca Gillan said...

Heh heh! I'm about halve way through it now. I loves the smart ass vampire; he's great! This has been the perfect Halloween lazy day read.

Hot Ash Romance Novels said...

I'm so glad, Rebecca!

You'll be happy to know I just finished edits on the vampire's story. Book 3 in the series is The Vampire Next Door.

Rebecca Gillan said...

Ooo! That is good news!