Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Going into the darkness...



Pic from ~ 123nonstop.com ~

Mist-howling hello, shapeshifter lovers... ghosts, ghouls and goblins... don’t forget ALL the creatures of the night. They certainly won’t forget you during this time of the year... when portals open and the veil parts... when the Earth becomes their trick-or-treat playground... or as some would have you believe... their feeding ground.

Admittedly spooky tales were never my thing growing up, even though I’ve always felt a calling for all things *living* in the paranormal realm. One terribly nasty nightmare was enough for me after watching the Twilight Zone as a kid. Besides, I’ve always been squeamish around blood.

So, it’s somewhat of a surprise to me, how much I’ve embraced the shadow these past several years. As an author I’ve entered the creepy deep shadows of Halloween more and more. One reason is because Werewolves, Vampires and other Beasties have entered romance-landia as alpha heroes and as powerful heroines.

Another reason is because I feel and sense the subtle energies of Samhain as I never have before. This is happening for many of us as we move further into the Age of Aquarius. IMO, this brings about a ‘soul need’, a ‘deep yearning’ for all the paranormal romance subgenres ~ with more to arrive hydra-style.

Often, *those* supposedly in the know, within the romance novel industry, predict the end of the paranormal genres, the end of the things-that-go-bump-in-the-night trend. They say that it’s back to contemporary romance ‘without’ all the woo-woo elements.

Maybe so. But, I haven’t seen evidence of it. That’s not to say there aren’t a lot of readers who prefer those romances, but there’s sure a heck of a lot who want ‘paranormals’. From what I’m observing currently, as far as comments from readers, they want their sexy alpha Werewolves and their hot seductive Vampires. And every spin-off breed of human/creature the imagination can conjure and create as romantic, passionate and/or erotic.

This is a good thing for me. As a writer I’ve been *going into the darkness* this past week. Into the darkness and isolation of my writing cave and into the Halloween magickal darkness of my current WIP.

Yep, happily and ‘knock on wood’ my penning will continue on a relatively smooth track, since my witchy erotic romance, Kandy Apple and Her Hellhounds, has reached a crescendo. With her most dangerous enemies defeated and now claimed by the Underworld, my heroine is about to be faced with a heart-wrenching choice. But then, the fate of Earth depends on it. Hey, no surprise, as Buffy, the vampire slayer knows, evil has been a relentless force.
~~~~~~

To get you in even more of a Halloween mood and because I adore my black cat girl, Sable Kiki, here’s a bad-witch excerpt from Halloween erotic romance, BLACK CAT BEAUTY.

Warning ~ x-rated language

...the woman suddenly appeared, stepping in front of her.

Halting instead of gliding around the woman, Sable ran her gaze up from the stiletto black heels she wore, to the woman’s gaunt face, decorated like an Egyptian cat statue. Unblinking eyes that reminded her of dirty pool water analyzed her face.

“What black arts’ technique did you use?” The woman’s tone spiraled around her, cast from a cauldron spell.

“And why would I share anything with you?” Sable didn’t bother disguising her utter disregard. When she moved to walk away, the woman stepped in front of her again.

“He’s mine.” The sinister woman’s voice coiled like a serpent in Sable’s belly.

Placing her fist on one hip, she faced the woman fully. “Is that so?” Sable seized the attacking energy, then twined it around the woman’s throat.

Sinister woman blanched for a moment, her eyes dilating mummy-style before she dispelled the energy, and scowled ruthlessly at Sable.

“I knew it.” She growled, her voice like an inner-world gargoyle.

“Knew what?” Sable envisioned batting her head around like a play toy, but didn’t throw the energy at her.

Narrowing her eyes, then pointing a bony finger with a dagger nail that could slice open many a sardine can, sinister woman intoned, “I’m not done, if you’re smart you’ll get out of my way. Everyone gets out of my way...eventually.”

Sable idly slid her gaze over the woman’s scarecrow features, her enraged glints for eyes. “If Devon was interested in fucking a woman with a body designed by Skeletor, I would be more than thrilled to send you in his direction.” Casually, she regarded her own nails, popping out one claw. “As it is, I would advise you to express your sorcery talents elsewhere.”

“Everyone in Hollywood bows before me. I’ve ruined countless careers, and decreed countless others into existence. You’re no match for my sorcery talents, you fat ugly toad.” A sparking black cloud emanated from the center of sinister woman’s forehead.

Creating a gale-force wind in her third eye, Sable blew it, dissipating the nasty soupy stuff before it could cause a second’s harm. “Since I have no wish for a career in Hollywood, your dire threat is just so much jibber jabber to my ears.” Sable remembered not to flick her ear. Or her tail in haughty satisfaction.

“Do you think your amateurish use of magick can stop me from getting what I want? I can enslave you to my will as easily as crooking my little finger.” Demonstrating, sinister woman thrust her Grim Reaper hand in front of Sable’s eyes.

“A big ole’ oops, witchie poo, but you’re too late.” Sable languidly tossed her waves of hair. “I’ve already been enslaved. Any advise for removing this collar?”

For an instant, mean ole’ witchie poo gleamed her gaze directly on the collar, then stared at the matching bracelet.

“Want to give it a magickal try?” Sable held up her wrist twisting it in front of the woman’s eyes. To further taunt sinister woman, she glittered the bracelet in the spooky illumination of the neon disco lights. “Maybe a tiny bolt of lightning. Want to try?”

Silent long enough for Sable to hear the lyrics ‘love to love you, baby’ of the sensual disco chant behind her, witchie poo finally looked up from the bracelet. “You’ll regret angering me, you cunt stupid bitch,” she snarled, her eyes gleaming greenish streaks of demonic hatred.

Sable smiled widely, her most I’m-going-to-make-you-prey grin. “Spells at dawn? Since I’m the challenger you can choose your favorite weapon from your black arts’ bag of tricks.”
~~~~~~

~ HAPPY AUTUMN SHAPESHIFTING ~

Savanna Kougar

~ Run on the Wild Side of Romance ~

13 comments:

Savanna Kougar said...

Hi, to me.

Pat C. said...

Ah, the children of the night ... I grew up on Twilight Zone, Outer Limits and Dark Shadows. Maybe Quentin's the reason I love werewolves. I certainly loved that werewolf. As for vampires, I can't see the attraction of having a boyfriend who sucks your blood out of you, but if that's what floats your boat, okay. Just give me my big, hairy wolfie to cuddle on the couch with.

I hope the paranormal trend never ends. Finally I can put everything I want to into a story, from the action/adventure to the heightened emotion to the funny and the weird, and there's actually a market for it!

Sav, loved the excerpt. "Body by Skeletor." Yeah!

I don't think those hellhounds in the picture really mean to hurt her. "Sorry about all the teeth. We're just funning. Now let's get down to the good stuff. Here, put this leather bikini on. I've got the whipped cream. Who brought cherries?"

Savanna Kougar said...

Hey Pat, yeah, the Dracula blood-sucking stuff... no. However, there are lots of vampire breeds now, some of them don't do that kind of draining-the-body thing... a taste, a few drop. The traditional vamp was created by Hollywood, anyway. That means poetic license or a license to kill what they have wrought.

Oh, I so know what you mean! I can write the action/adventure wild stuff that I absolutely love. Plus all the paranormal elements I love. The Trickster becomes a treat.

Thanks, on the excerpt. Yeah, Sable did a claw slice on witchie poo.

Yeah, they're just giving her a fantasy thrill... the scary chase... the big mean attitude and teeth... then, it's ravishment by men who know how to ignite the volcanic fires just right... uh, many times right!

Rebecca Gillan said...

I love your name for the vileness! "Sinister woman."

Savanna Kougar said...

Rebecca, thanks... a typical Sable Kiki 'thought'.

Solara said...

interesting excerpt and post! As an empath, I can relate.

Serena Shay said...

Aah, see I lurve's me the vampire hero. ;) Certainly not the drain them dry variety vamp, but the "my bite is orgasm inducing"... Oh heck yeah! heh heh

A warm and furry couch cuddler is way hawt, too!

I would be a sad, sad reader if paranormals went away. Not to mention, what the heck would I write about...even when I start a contemporary, paranormal creatures sneak into the story. LOL

Rebecca Gillan said...

Paranormal romance has been around long enough you'd think the critics would stock predicting the demise of the genre. I remember reading some vampire romances from the 70s. Check out Andre Norton, a.k.a Alice Mary Norton.

Of course, now I'm going to have to go digging in my pile of older romances to see if I still have that really old vampire book...

Savanna Kougar said...

Rebecca, I read one that my sis gave me, probably about that long ago. It was really good and involved contact through dreams. However, I really didn't like it when the hero turned human and began life that way, the feel of sunshine on his arms and he forgot everything. I mean, yeah, I guess, but what about their love before and his immortality... I was in conflict over that story.

Savanna Kougar said...

Hi Solara, being an empath, as I understand it, certainly has its rewards and challenges!

Savanna Kougar said...

Serena, I know! Even if I try to write something in the so-called normal realm, it never works. The beasties and paranormal characters sneak in and take over.

Rebecca Gillan said...

The one I read was something about a young woman being targeted by a bad guy vampire, got bit and the good guy vampire saved her to find she was his fated mate or something like that. I think it was part of a series, but I never found the rest of them. Despite the wilting heroine that was so big back in the 70s and early 80s, it was a really good story.

Savanna Kougar said...

Okay, this book wasn't part of a series to my knowledge... hmmm... there are sites devoted to vampire romance... however, finding titles that old may still be a challenge.