Monday, June 29, 2009

Getting ready for conferences

It's June 29. Only a couple of weeks until the RWA National Conference begins in Washington, D.C. and I'm not ready. At all. I've paid my conference fee and my room is books, but I haven't really begun to plan what I'll be taking with me.

Well, that's not entirely true. I know I'm taking my laptop, my new cell phone and I have some things to transport for the Passionate Ink Chapter Party. But other than that - I've done very little planning.

I met with my roommate for National over the weekend. She had a color coded spreadsheet of what she's planning on attending and when various book signing will be held, etc. Boy I wish I were THAT organized. And it's not like I haven't attended a conference before either. I attended RWA National in 2007 and various library conferences too.

So if you're attending RWA National, are you ready to go? Do you have suggestions for what to see in Washington, D.C.? What should I take with me? Help? I'm not ready and I need some ideas for getting ready.

6 comments:

Crystal Kauffman said...

Francesca, I will say this because in DC in 2000 I was not smart enough to think of this myself: walking shoes. And I mean good ones; like aerobic or cross trainiers, not cute sandals you think are comfy. I wish I were going to DC this year only so I could see everything I missed when my feet curled up and died like the wicked witch of the north's feet when Dorothy's house landed on her.

Savanna Kougar said...

Crystal, excellent suggestion. When I used to travel, yep, I soon made sure I had the right shoes for walking or hiking places. And super comfy clothes, plus a bag that would hold everything I use, and could handle more stuff.

Francesca, have a wonderful time no matter what. Having never attended Nationals, I don't have any good suggestions for that.

Francesca Hawley said...

Hey - how about Birkenstocks, Crystal. I love my sandals.

Thanks Savanna. The PI party is gonna rock. I need to go through the list of workshops to see if anything really appeals to me. ;-)

Paris said...

Francesca, by all means, comfortable shoes and clothes you can layer. Take some kind of wrap for the workshop rooms because the hotels can be frigid. My favorite places in DC were the Zoo
and the Smithsonian. And there was a little Italian restaurant down the street from the hotel that was fabulous--can't remember the name though, rats!

Paris said...

Hit the button too soon. Have a great time!!!!

Serena Shay said...

That is a really good idea, Crystal! No good suggestions from me, unfortunately. I always forget something. :) Wish I going, hate missing out on the PI party, it's going to be awesome. Have fun!