Monday, June 8, 2009

What Species are you?


As you can see by the varied avatars of our regular contributors, shapeshifters come in many furred, hoofed, and other varieties.
Most of my characters are wolves. The hero of my first published short story was a wolf, the hero of my first novel was a wolf, and the hero of my current WIP is a wolf.
However wolves are not the sole critter type in my universe. In my short story, Alpha v Alpha, my hero Damien Blackwolf is a lawyer. His partners include Kenyon Whitehawk and Chase Goldbear. One of Serena's business partner's is Lea Redcat. In Protect and Defend, Diar and Mikaela's real estate agent is Kate Blackbear. So yup, there are other possibilities.
I've started several stories with other animal shifters as the protagonists, but I just haven't gotten there yet. I haven't completely made up my mind about all the animals in my world yet. Right now, I have land animals and avians, but so far all my shifters are predators. There are other possibilities and I may explore them.
I considered dragon shifters, but they seem very popular right now. There are also several excellent authors already tackling that subject matter. Shana Abe has some fab books - The Smoke Thief and The Dream Thief. Deborah Cooke has also written some sensational dragon shifters. So for now, I'll leave the territory to them.
What's your favorite shifter species? Are there any species that aren't being written about currently which you'd just LOVE to see?

5 comments:

Savanna Kougar said...

Hey, Francesca, I adore the Wolfies and, of course, the Big Cats. I've also started a dragon shifter story. Shana Abe is a gifted author! so, I'm not trying to compete, just write my own version.
Though, I have stories that were begun before the current trends about dragon shifters. So it was cool to watch them emerge.
There are so many fantastic possibilities for Shifters, maybe the question becomes what animals call to you the most? Beside your wolfs.

Paris said...

I love shifters of all kinds! One of my favorite authors, Marjorie M. Liu has a wonderful series about a detective agency (Dirk & Steele) with every kind of shifter imaginable! If you haven't read her before, check her out!

Serena Shay said...

I'm intrigued with shifters of all kinds. Wolves, cats, birds, aquatic, so many possibilities! Dragons would be really cool, too. Question is, what makes a shifter a shifter? Must they turn into an animal or just change shape... ;-)

Francesca Hawley said...

Savanna - I'll look forward to a dragon shifter story from you. It will be way cool!

Paris - I'll have to check that author out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Serena - aquatic has interesting possibilities. You present an interesting question about shapeshifters. Must they become critters? I mean consider Odo from Deep Space Nine or Nymphadora Tonks from the Harry Potter series. They are shapeshifters, but of a very different kind. Interesting...

Francesca Hawley said...

Oh, I see by my last post "interesting" is the word of the day. LOL